Preheat oven 325 degrees
Single cut brisket 4-5 lbs.
3 onions, sliced
Combine in a bowl:
½ cup water
1 cup ketchup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1½ cup ginger ale
• Place 2 sliced onions in the bottom of a baking dish to make a bed for the brisket.
• Place the brisket on top of onions.
• Top the brisket with remaining onions and gently pour liquid mixture over the onions.
• Seal the pan with foil and bake for about 3½ hours until fork tender. Allow to cool a bit before slicing. Freezes well.
• I make five briskets, sliced when cooled, and frozen with the gravy in heavy freezer bags. To reheat, I lay the slices and gravy gently into a large frying pan and on very low.
– Laura Goodman